Category | GOD – THEOLOGY PROPER
Theology is the study of God and all things divine. It is the study of all things in relation to God from the natural to the supernatural, including creation.
‘Theology Proper’ is the specific study of everything about God Himself, including His divine nature and attributes. Theology Proper deals exclusively with who God is, and what God has revealed about Himself to His creation.
Theology Proper is typically defined as the study of God the Father from the Trinitarian doctrine, but often it includes other systematic topics, each of which reflect and refer or describe some aspect of God;
- Godhead (Trinitarian)
- God the Father – study of God the Father
- Christology – study of Christ, Jesus
- Pneumatology – Study of the Holy Spirit
The Attributes of God are described in this topic as well, reflecting and revealing who God is and His nature. Other forms of study fall in the category of ‘Theology Proper,’ and they are categorized separately to help us understand more about God and His divine attributes;
- Cataphatic Theology – the study of God through positive terminology, i.e. God is Merciful. It is the study of God through positive terms to understand what God is, or what He is like.
- Apophatic Theology – the study of God through negative terminology – i.e. God is not a creation, nor was he created. It is the study of God through negative terms to understand what God is not.
- Theodicy – the study of understanding why a good God allows evil to manifest or exist. Theodicy philosophically reconciles the essential problem of evil with the divine omnibenevolent attributes of God.